Tuesday, March 18, 2008

You lose, You Learn...

I've got big news... it looks like I'm going to take the big plunge and buy the Canon EOS 5D next week. While it's *gulp* a lot of money, I know it's a smart investment, and one more thing to seal my commitment to this new stage in my life. Getting over the effect it's going to have on my bank account is definetly made easier by the fact that i've been drooling over this camera for a very long time.

I can still remember my first camera, my Dad bought it for me when I was around 12 years old. (Now for those who don't know me, this is where I insert a small insight to Camille's idiosyncrasies 101 - I am an extremely forgetful person at times - though with time and growing up I get better, I'm sure a phrase often uttered in my house will always be "Has anyone seen my keys/wallet/cell phone?")

But to get back on track, due to my extreme forgetfulness as a child my Dad was hesitant to buy me something so valuable. Persistence paid off though, because after nagging my Dad for weeks he announced he had bought me my very first camera. Ripping it out of its package I found the most appallingly bright yellow Crayola camera anyone has ever seen. First instinct had me crying out at the injustice of it all, but I bit back and remembered money didn't grow on trees, and my track record of being a little scatterbrained was less than encouraging.

So convinced was I to prove to my Dad that I was a responsible young adult, I carried and used that thing for four years until it was in essence, threadbare. Looking back it was one of my first true displays of responsibility, and despite it's appearance I was so unbearably proud of that little camera and the pictures I shot with it. Even now it's blaringly obvious how in love with photography I was, always wanting to document the candid moments in my life.

I think this 5D will certainly add to my skills as a photographer, with all of its manual settings, fancy lenses and 12mega pixels. But I'd like to think that the talent and ability to capture beautiful moments lies within me, whether I'm behind a gorgeous Canon, or my old little Crayola.

1 comments:

Mark Brooke Photographers said...

honestly the 5D is awesome. we have had one for the last few months and it has made a big difference.